11.30.2012

DIY // Movember Zara - Inspired Loafers

I'd been dying to do this DIY ages ago (alliteration?) but the stationery shop I usually frequent was closed every single time (accurate figure - 4925 times) I'd go there. So after finally getting my hands on some felt paper, fevibond & some miscellaneous spikes, I felt incredibly lame for waiting so long for a handful of items. I mean, was it worth all those cab rides & shoe bites? Only to realize that closed shutters greeted me with a swaying paper written as an afterthought - "Closed for the HOLYDAYS." Certainly, the death of a politician was a posthumous HOLYDAY. **RANT OVER**
As mentioned in my previous post, I wanted to spruce up a pair of worn out velvet/suede- like loafers I'd bought for 500 bucks ($10 approx) They were plain but comfortable & beared a rather striking resemblance to certain Zara Loafers (Sold out at all Mumbai outlets - YES I CHECKED) retailing at Rs.2390 ($50 approx) The reasonable woman that I am, I was particularly elated when I chanced upon these plain ones for that is of course what the Lord intended to happen. Combined with my rudimentary DIY skills, here is a just in time for Movember inspired DIY.

Things you will need :


  • Plain loafers
  • Felt paper (The thick kind)
  • Fevibond
  • A needle or pin
  • A paper cutout of a moustache (I blew up the Zara image & printed it out)
  • Scissors
  • Slightest sense of propriety



1. Pin the cutout moustache to a rectangular piece of felt so that it doesn't move while you cut the felt. Slowly, cut out a semblance of the print out above. Cutting the curve of the moustache is a bit tricky but you'll get the hang of it. 



2. Once you've cut out two felt moustaches, attempt to faux place it on your loafers so both the pieces are symmetrical on the front of your shoes. Make sure you place the moustache side up because the shoe wears the moustache and not you.  


3.Glue the flat shiny part of felt to the shoe, with caution & as delicately as your hands will permit.{TIP : slightly press the felt onto the shoe & once you're sure it is where you approve, smooth it over with your fingers}




4. Once you're done gluing the moustaches, keep it away from small children, because they WILL attempt to ingest quirky felt moustaches glued to shoes jk just keep them away (from your spiteful siblings) under a fan for 2-3 hours until the glue has dried out completely.




5. There, kinda one-of-kind loafers. Mixed with sweat, felt & glue. Enjoy!

Instagram -  pearldz
Follow my blog with Bloglovin


12 comments:

  1. This is so cool. I think I'm gonna do this soon <3

    http://thechicmuse000.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. These shoes are way too perfect! Loving this DIY!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute!
    Lucia
    http://luciasloves.blogspot.co.uk
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh this is the coolest idea! think of the other options too! unicorns...cats...dinosaurs..

    blog: instead of an elephant
    Creative Director: Thread Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun project. Mustache shoes.

    Stop by my blog soon:

    PARIS // CharcoalAlley.com <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so adorable :) it is fun to make something cool from plain shoes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog & taking the effort to write a comment. It means a lot to me!